With Kaleb Johnson’s decision to stay at Rutgers, coach Kyle Flood has all five of his starting offensive linemen back for the start of the Big Ten. Johnson started at left guard in 2013, and will take his talents to the Big Ten as a senior, where he aims to raise his draft stock and receive his Rutgers degree.
“After speaking to my family and coach Flood, it was in my best interest to return to Rutgers for my senior season,” Johnson said in a statement. “Academically, I will be in position to graduate next spring, which was an important goal when I committed to play at Rutgers. When reviewing all the options to stay or head to the NFL, my heart was to finish what I started with my family here at Rutgers.”
Rutgers released a statement late Tuesday afternoon after Johnson implied a final decision by stating “I choose loyalty over money” on his Twitter page earlier in the day. The news broke in this morning’s edition of the Scarlet Walk.
Johnson started 13 games this season at left guard. He started at left tackle as a sophomore and was a Freshman All-America at right tackle two seasons ago.
“Kaleb has a bright future at the next level, but we are excited that he has decided to return to Rutgers for his senior year,” Flood said in a statement. “I know earning his degree from an outstanding academic institution like Rutgers was very important to Kaleb and his family, and he will be in excellent position to do so next spring.”